Sunday, March 15, 2009

Parrots as family members

Dear Bird Fans and Friends,

I'd love to hear from you. 

I know there is so much going on out there. Training successes, unexpected difficulties, changing family dynamics! It's very different living with a parrot as a family member/pet than having the structured situation at NEI. Not so easy to control the diet, is it? What are the guidelines for interacting with your bird or birds when it is not training time but family togetherness time? What new found skills have you been able to use and what old habits have returned? For those of you in the northern climes, how is the coming of spring effecting, the birds, you and your time together?

This can be a wonderful resource for us all as we have a common language and experience. Maybe blogging is a new way to communicate( it is for me) and not yet familiar but I think it holds promise. Don't be shy, share a story. It feels so good to know that others are having similar struggles and can give hope and inspiration to many when there is a success.

More and On,
Cathy

3 comments:

  1. Gosh Cathy, if I to write about all that happens to me, I'd better start my own personal blog...LOL...

    But you're right; we should use the sources that we have more (we have it, why not use it?). It keeps us up-to-date and who knows, we might even learn something new.

    As the lady said, bring it on guys! Personally I don't believe in failure, I do believe in attempts that give me a chance to learn. So bring on the stories/ happenings/ sharable things/hints/ tips etcetera! Yahoo…

    WARNING:
    But I have to warn everyone on forehand that whatever I write will most likely be like a small bookwork, as just like talking I love it too much to change.
    Also to be aware that whatever I have written is my opinion only or my way of looking at things; nothing is written in stone and I am a weird thinker. Don’t forget, the body is Dutch, the mind Irish, what is there not to be weird about me…lol…
    Wow, I sound just like that lady I’ve recently met in County Cork that named her two Indian Ringnecks ‘Terms’ and ‘Conditions’… In her own words: “You either do agree or don’t agree with them.”

    Silver

    ***I wondered why the Frisbee was getting bigger, and then it hit me.***

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great questions, Cathy.
    I know one that has changed for me is that I have a better developed conscience concerning interacting with my birds. I now have to have some training treats nearby at all times and honestly try not to ask them to step or go anywhere without a treat. (But, it does happen from time to time!)
    Funny that you mention Spring, too, as that actually played a role in my trying to train Masti last week. Every time he'd step onto my hand his wings drooped and it got hard to get him OFF my hand. I'd try to train him later on and the same thing would happen. Luckily, I haven't had that happen the past couple days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent questions, Cathy. On spring: a difficult, nesty time for Snowy. She was an egg layer even in her previous, neglectful home, so I have to be quite careful about how we handle her and what kind of cover she gets this time of year (i.e. no dark spaces to chew wood in).

    Silver, your response made me happy--so Silverish! Write as much as you want, girl. We're listening.

    I totally agree with Michelle that I've become acutely aware that in every interaction with Snowy, I'm careful to ask, not to demand. The phrase "what's in it for her?" is constantly on my mind.

    ReplyDelete