Friday, February 20, 2009

From Cathy: Switching Rewards

(Admin note: Cathy, I reposted this comment of yours as a posting, since you bring up interesting issues and also have questions to be answered)
Hi Bird Fans,

I remember Steve saying that we can't eliminate all aversives. All creatures need limits sometime, none of get to do what we want all of the time. Sounds like Snowy has a rich life with you with a big trust account. The only way I can think of to completely eliminate the scooping at night would be to make sure she is hungry and will take food or a special toy to go in the cage, something she wants more than to hang out with you (which is hard to imagine).

Our road has been rocky since returning from NEI. I've been depressed and working on all fronts to get well with a way to go.

When I got home my Triton Cockatoo had started picking his chest. (This occurred BEFOR my return). This is a first in 18 years! Did he sense changes afoot?

Training has progressed but I use his favorite toy as reward (empty plastic bottles). The problem is that they stimulate the picking and there in 20-40 seconds of superstitious behavior in between the behaviors. He has however, learned to fly to my hand(indoors), stand on a scale, wave, circle and step up.

I'd like to move him to food rewards. I need to be predictable and consistent with his feeding so he will care. Right now he sees pretty bird as a toy to flip on the side of his head and then pick chest, walnuts an inalienable right. How to change so he feels safe?

What to do about the bottles? Limit, structure, or go cold turkey? I have emailed Lindsey and gotten no response. Have you had luck communicating with your trainers?

I've had a positive relationship with this bird for 18 years and now it feels like a mess. Do any of you have ideas? I'd be eternally grateful for suggestions.

Enjoy birdland, avoid conundrums, and keep good cheer,

Hopeful and dedicated,

Cathy (Ike)

5 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy.
    Sorry you've had a rough time all around. On the other hand, I'd say flying to your hand, standing on a scale, waving, circling...is all amazing progress. Congratulations! That's something to celebrate.

    I've not yet tried to communicate with NEI trainers, but I'll bet they're all crazy-busy with the new SanDiego account. I also got an email that a lot of NEI-ers are over on Facebook, so that might be a way to contact people (I'm new to that whole arena of social networking, but am going to check it out now.)

    I wonder if Tritons are, in general, just not food motivated--sure is the case with my girl, too. I finally started to use safflower seeds as a reward, but had to start by pairing them with the only positive reinforcer I could count on with her: a mirror. Now she'll take the seeds as a reward for performance but if, for instance, I just offer them to her for free, she doesn't care. (An example of the principle of contra-freeloading in action.)

    I've become a believer in offering food twice a day, morning and night, and not leaving stuff in the cage all day.

    Could you post a photo or describe the plastic bottles better? Could the picking/plastic bottle thing be related to a breeding behavior?

    (p.s. I can't seem to relocate that great eagle email you sent me for posting. If you still have it, could you post it here?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cathy,

    So sorry to hear about your bird. Jean may have a point about the breeding behavior--my African Grey is definitely in breeding mode. He's switched from his usual sweet self to attack bird mode--instead of picking him up now, I let him come in and out of his cage and move to his playstand on his own. He still likes performing the behaviors he's learned recently (it's the only time he gets any nuts or seeds now), and will take the treats without biting. He has become much more food motivated since nuts have been otherwise elimated from his diet. (He's also eating more of his veggies.) To get him into his cage I need only put a small piece of nut into his dish. (I think he is training me.) It's not ideal, but it's been working for us.

    if you are giving your bird warm food, it might help to stop--they only get it in the wild from mates during breeding. On vet's advice, my birds get fed two meals per day, which also seems to help.

    You might want to have your cockatoo looked at by an avian vet to eliminate any medical causes--esp. since this is so out of the ordinary for him/her. .

    I emailed Lindsey (NEI) some time ago, just to say thanks, and just recently got a reply.
    she said it has been really busy there, and it occurred to me that they were probably tied up with planning and holding the advanced training workshop, along with the usual.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, I also want to comment that Snowy feather plucked a lot while I was gone. She's bare under both her wings. The fact that Ike started the plucking while you were gone perhaps points more to a response to THAT particular change in circumstance rather than any you made after returning. Also, it seems to me that a lot of people with cockatoos right now are getting plucking behavior--that time of year? Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you both for your comments. I just figured out that they were there. I don't know how to put photos on the blog, will have to learn.
    The weather is slowly starting to get warmer and I'm able to get him out and into the world more which seems to help. He focuses on his new and interesting surroundings instead of picking, although does revert when tired or hungary.
    One very interesting thing I am observing is that he does better with some negative reinforcement. Believe me, I am not cruel or intimidating but giving him a spray of water when his behavior is out of line seems to calm him down. Also he has come on walks with the dog and me for years (as long as it's not too cold) and after NEI I was giving him the choice and he was staying home. Lately, I've been bringing him against mild protest and I swear he has a good time, enjoys the sunshine, neighbors, fresh air. The added stimulation has been good for him and reduced the picking. Don't know what Steve et al would say except "behavior is a study of one, one bird, one trainer, one moment in time".
    I do feed 2x's/day and have been removing food in between. Even so he is still eating too well to work for food. I would need more confidence and support to restrict the diet to where he would work for food.
    Thanks again for your in put and let me know how things are going with your birds. And yes, spring is nesting season and I usually do see behavioral changes but have not yet this year. His smell even changes during that time . Have you noticed that with your guys?
    The first thing I did was had him checked out by a vet and he was fine so this is behavioral.
    I appreciate youe interest and support.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy, it most definitely sounds like you have made great strides in teaching step up, stand on a scale, fly-to-you, and waving! All with a bird who isn't interested in food rewards? That sounds really impressive to me!

    I hope you will keep us posted on how he does with his plucking.

    ReplyDelete